05-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
exPat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensic View Post
did you have to fight hard for that? and did they tell you what invoice actually is?
I emailed my preferred dealer with the exact build I wanted and the price I wanted to pay (thanks to the internetz). It's a cash purchase, no trade, but I'll check financing deals when it's time to pick up the car.

I was prepared to check at least two other dealers but got an answer within a couple of hours. I was very cordial in the email, no pressure. My plan was not to negotiate just to email the next dealer, but I never had to. My biggest problem is that I've been without a Bimmer for two years so no $750 loyalty bonus. (Almost a deal breaker on general principles.)

I also asked for, and got, a commitment for 20% off BMW parts and labor installed prior to delivery. I figure this makes my out-of-pocket cost about the same as buying online and having it installed by my "off warranty" garage, but there's no question about voiding the factory warranty.

Yes, I did see the invoice and I have a copy. But I know the customer version of the invoice has dealer holdbacks and incentives that the customer usually doesn't see. (Even when the dealer says he's not making any money, he is.)

All in all it seems like a fair arms-length transaction for the build I want.
Appreciate 0