06-11-2018, 12:33 AM   #17
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I don't have an M2PE, but I do have a 2018 M2 LCI, as well as a 1M with ~30K miles on it. I feel the opposite way.

The M2 is bigger and noticeably heavier. There is a certain amount of distance between the machine and the driver, whereas with the 1M, the driver to machine interface is almost a direct connection. There's a video-game aspect to the M2, which I find in all new BMWs and most new performance cars, which is absent on the 1M, which I find to be an "analog," as opposed to a "digital," vehicle.

Obviously some people must like the direction that BMW is taking with their newer vehicles, or they wouldn't be selling record numbers. You are probably much more representative of the sort of person BMW is selling cars to today, and I'm more representative of the type of person who is about to jump off the ship.

I love my 1M. As for the M2, it's about as serviceable a car as BMW seems capable of making these days. I like it, and I like what it can do, but I don't love it, and I don't sit around thinking, "gee, I'd love to drive my M2 today," like I do feel about my 1M and about several other cars that I own.
You have to remember you are comparing it to a 1M that you own and drive. Many people who I have met that bought an M2 are either jumping up from a 335i/235i coming from a Merc or Audi....or are seeing it as an E46 successor (my viewpoint on the car) with a WARRANTY and more low-end grunt. To many it is very sporty & aggressive in comparison to what they are comparing it to and will not see the same flaws that you do.
Appreciate 1
c63er876.00