View Single Post
      09-09-2015, 12:44 AM   #1
wjk_glynn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C2S Coupé

Square 264s :: 18x8.5 ET52 front & back, with 245/35R18 RE050A RFT tires all around

Hi folks,

Many on this forum have noted they’ve installed Square 264 (or 313) rims with success. But when I’ve searched around, there doesn’t seem to be a ton of photos/specifics – at least in comparison to Apex and VMR installations.

So just for reference, here's my (no-rub) setup and experience… for what it’s worth…

Suspension Setup
Rims, Tires and Spacers
  • 4x 18x8.5 ET52 Style 264 rims
  • 4x 245/35 R18 Bridgestone RE050A RFT tires
  • 4x 10mm hub-centric spacers from Burger Motorsports

Alignment
  • Front:
    -2.2° negative camber, 1/32" toe-in per side, 7° caster
  • Rear:
    -1.8° negative camber, 1/16" toe-in per side

Ride Height
  • After installing the suspension parts listed above, I measured the following average drop in ride height as compared to the ZSP sport suspension with ~70K miles:
    - Front: 9 mm drop
    - Rear: 15 mm drop
  • The Dinan camber plates are ~6.5 mm thick and add to the stack height of the front suspension
  • This implies that the BMW Performance Suspension actually drops the suspension height by an average of 15 mm, more than the 10 mm per BMW’s product specifications
  • Visually the drop looks pretty even front to back, at least to my eyes

Clearance
  • The fenders are stock, with no rolling/pulling
  • The car has been driven over a variety of roads and conditions and there doesn’t appear to be any rub
  • Front:
    - Visually it looks extremely close from the tire to the outside edge of the fender, I'm kinda amazed there isn't rub
    - Can’t imagine fitting any wider tire, at that camber angle
    - Clearance between the front rim & tire to the strut is somewhere between 1/8” and 1/4" (i.e. ~5 mm) - measured using the feel blindly and guess technique
  • Rear:
    - At the beginning, I had 12 mm spacers in the rear but they rubbed under conditions of heavy suspension compression
    - Switched to 10 mm in the rear, same as the fronts
    - No problem since

Driving Impressions
  • Steering feel comes across as having a bit more stiction
  • No perceptible change in ride quality
  • Understeer is significantly reduced, but not eliminated
    - Don’t know how much is due to wider front rims/tires, or increased camber
  • Really the big change is that you can get the nose to point in more quickly, thus greatly increases confidence (at least for me)

There you have it.

Karl.

PS: And now a few pics (please excuse the dirt):
  • #5 and #6 show the front fender clearance
  • #7 and #8 the rear…
Attached Images

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 07-04-2016 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Add note about where the spacers came from...
Appreciate 5
gixracer277.50
PKT RKT27.00