View Single Post
      05-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #217
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
All of those cars had standard divorced rear suspension. None of them had a rear coilover conversion. That post is 2 1/2 years old and the cars in question were setup up to 10 years ago - no one had even thought about doing a rear coilover conversion on a 1-series back then.

The front spring rate on those cars would be unusually stiff for a street car, while the rear spring rate would be standard fare for a street car - but these were race cars, not street cars, so they had the suspension tuned for their purposes - maybe they needed or wanted a softer rear spring rate relative to what would otherwise be required for the front.

While some street cars use F342/R684 spring rates, F400/R800 spring rates are just as common and perfectly suitable for the street - it's the setup and quality of the dampers that will determine how comfortable the ride is.
I am not talking about being comfortable. I am concerned with mid corner balance. You make it seem like it's some revolutionary task to put a coilover in the rear lol who exactly are these race teams youre referncig? I've seen some pretty poor setups on some "race" cars. Bimmerworks is about the only one I know of that ran 328i's competitively.

Last edited by bbnks2; 05-28-2018 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0