View Single Post
      04-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I installed my 3 Stage Intake and Tune

So like the title says, I did my 3SI install Saturday. Didn't really follow any particular DIY aside from watching a guy do a starter replacement on YouTube Friday night. I just took my time, and pulled the drivers side strut bar to give me the most clearance.

Took me about 3 hours as I also put new OEM Disa valves in the intake I was putting on. Actually was fortunate and didn't break anything...namely the pcv hose that I read about that seems to give the most issue although I had a new hose on hand just in case. Pretty straightforward replacement as most of the plug connectors are different and only can go one way.

Just remember to connect everything on the bottom side, before continuing with the installation and it should be good to go.

I already had my updated tune from BPC waiting and ready to go. In between the install, my wife wanted to go out to dinner, so I didn't try to start the car until I got home and downloaded the new tune.

It fired right up, never hunted for an idle, and settled in after running a few minutes like it always had. By then it was pretty late and I had some other stuff I had to get finished, so I shut everything down and put everything away.

I got to finally drive it today, but didn't go crazy as the weather is bad. But I let the car properly warm up, then did a few slow pulls going through 1st and 2nd to red line. Never pulled 3rd all the way as I was going way faster than the posted speed limit.

Initial impressions: Car pulls very smoothly and very easily to red line. Looking at past dyno graphs, I was wondering if I would feel the dip or transition you see in a lot of them.....but there was no hesitation at all. Now a lot of those dyno graphs I found are a few years old, so I'm assuming they have the tune worked out pretty good since then.....especially for an "off the shelf" tune.

The biggest thing I did notice right off the bat is the increase in torque in the lower rpm range. I've also read that the car continues to improve the more you drive it as I guess it's going through a small learning curve of it's own in regards to A/F ratios.

I did pull out the cable and connected with Protool when I got home to see if there where any codes thrown from the DME, and it was error free.

All in all, it's a nice modification considering the fact that I got an intake and bought new OEM valves for about $500.

I will update this post later after I have a chance to drive the car for a few days.

Next up will be my headers. I've done quite a bit of header installations in the past, but never on a BMW. Hopefully they go as smooth as the intake, but I won't know until I get in there. We'll see. I have done some installs that were a nightmare, and my last time doing any were on my Corvette.....and those went easier than I could imagine.

I've found out through the years that fitment is everything, and those aren't an item you where you buy the cheapest thing out there.

I went AA which I have heard good things about....so we will see!
asbrr544.50
N54Yankee2707.00