07-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #9
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
What does this even mean? The OP wants power. The N55 delivers significantly more of it than the N52 and in a really tractable and responsive way, with room for extremely easy modifications that give a lot more power. NA engines are great, don't get me wrong, but you need to pay out the ass one way or another to get a powerful NA BMW engine. I have a badass NA engine on my motocross bike. It makes about 300 HP per LITER. Would I like an engine like that on my car? Hell no, because the maintenance would be extreme and horrible. Electric motors are a different story, they're basically awesome in every way without lag but the batteries aren't quite where most people want them to be cost and energy density wise.

Well, yes. The turbo and related accoutrements on the N55 are quite reliable compared to the N54. The DI fueling is also quite reliable, and it's a better technology than port fueling like the N52 has. The problem areas are mostly things like cooling, which the N52 shares. The N55 also has an oil filter housing gasket issue which I'm not sure if the N52 shares or not, but that is not a big deal. There was also a VANOS issue in SOME models, with a one-time fix, covered by the manufacturer. Aside from that you have fluid changes, accessory replacement like belts and pullies and maybe plug / coil replacement which are basically...the same?
Not everyone wants a turbo, that's the last time I will repeat myself.
Appreciate 0