12-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
I've heard you mention pad swaps are easy on the F30 brakes. Do you have to unbolt the caliper or do the pads slide out with it still attached? And what are your rear calipers, also F30 335i or 128i?

My calipers (remanned, installed last year and run in a saltless environment) are already covered in rust so I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with my brakes. F30 335i sound great, just expensive. I might just clean up the 128i calipers and paint them.
Oh my goodness. Pad swaps are SO EASY! Pop guide pins out, pull pads out, push pads in, pop guide pins in. Done. Maybe some greasing and cleaning in the middle, but that's the idea. No unbolting calipers, no replacing slider pins, etc.

I've got stock 128i rear brakes, the brake balance doesn't feel wonky, and the stopping power is phenomenal (far greater than the tires can support right now).

All the stock front brakes really need are some good pads, rotors, and fluid. That made the single biggest difference for me (combined with the nanny coding). I could finally haul myself down at the end of a long straight with total confidence. I believe that the 130i/330i had aluminum calipers vs our iron ones, as well as larger rotors, but I'm not 100% sure on that.