03-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #101
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
If the "Performance Power Kit" is what makes people chose the 135i over the M3 I would anticipate MUCH better numbers than what's been rumored to come from this upgrade.
What I meant is that I would like to know the cost, because it would join a litany of other mods on the 135i: performance catalog suspension, M3 f/r control arms and rear sway, exhaust, Quaife and wheels/tires.

Thus equipped, speed and handling would be very similar to the M3 but the price difference would be halved.

Just adding my numbers, see what they come to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs1.35i View Post
Even a M3V8 outruns a BMW 135i Evotech 400bhp+ with aftermarket sports suspension by minutes(!), if they drive f.i. 15 rounds on the track.
The situation can be easily reversed with the correct modifications on the 135i. If it lost by minutes, I seriously doubt Evotech has built up that car correctly - if you look at One Lap Of America standings, you'll notice that a modified 135i came higher than an M3, both driven by seasoned drivers. OLOA consists of many different tracks and other speed events (oval, 1/4 mile etc.).

I have seen that OLOA car in person and know what it takes to get it to that level, the question is am I prepared to do it?

Quote:
BUT, can a 350bhp 1 series give you that much fun for half money? O yes, it can. And, the torque engine of the 135i is even faster on the daily road in flexibility. O yes, it is.
Exactly - that's my question.

Quote:
So, if you are not a hard core trackdrive, the 135i will do. What? I would prefer above the M3. But if you are - or wanna be - an experienced trackday race driver and you absolutely want the ultimate machine? the M3V8is the care to have, not the 135i.
Doesn't even have to be put in terms of track days (my car would see a few per year, no more). The M3 is special in the way it drives, sounds, delivers power - a more special experience all the way around (yes, including maintenance costs, modification costs etc.). And it comes with 4 doors which would be very useful to me.

Heart vs. brain - which will win? Stay tuned, because either way I'll post my impressions from Europe, including the Nordschleife.
Appreciate 0