Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fume View Post
Sort of hijacking this thread since it's related. I'm planning to try out HPDE this year and probably will be doing a handful events if I find it fun (which I'm pretty sure I will). Is upgrading brakes something that's only recommended for experienced folks or is this something that's more related to general safety? For you guys with experience, how bad are the stock brakes and brake pads for the 128i (but if you have experience with 135i stock brakes that'll be helpful to know too). I've already bled the brake fluids with ATE Typ 200 ones half year ago so I think I'm fine in that regards (right?).
If you've no prior experience I think you'll be fine with just RBF. Otherwise, upgrade the front pads to a motorsport compound. That's my recommendation based on my own experience with the stock 128i brakes. They are small; I would do RBF at a minimum for safety reasons alone.

**No offense to 135i owners, but your brake experience isn't applicable to our 128s. You can argue all day, but the fact of the matter is that the rotors, calipers, and pads are all larger than ours, not to mention your front bumper has ducts on each side, whereas the 128i has fog lights :/

Last edited by chris82; 05-17-2016 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0