01-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #17
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
As was stated earlier the electronics of new cars will make restoring them very complicated, restoring a car thats 50 years old is pretty straightforward.

Try restoring a car with sophisticated computers and electronics, youll need a PhD in digital circuit design to try and 'rebuild' the stuff that makes the engine run.

Its not like a V8 from 1965, the only thing electrical about it was the alternator.

And I dont anticipate the 1 series (or any modern car for that matter) to last 50 years, so rebuilding is not a question of IF but more a question of WHEN and HOW MUCH.

I'm not so sure the electronics are going to be as much of an issue as some of you think they are. There's a lot of that stuff that will be able to be repaired once the technology is obsolete and the engineering information is released. Not to mention the advances in standalone management systems will make the factory controls less important and the standardized CAN BUS being used right now will make some cool aftermarket stuff possible going forward.

It's not going to be cheap, but I don't think the controls systems means modern cars are just going to have to be scrapped when they're 20 years old.
Appreciate 0