01-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #18
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I'm not so sure the electronics are going to be as much of an issue as some of you think they are. There's a lot of that stuff that will be able to be repaired once the technology is obsolete and the engineering information is released. Not to mention the advances in standalone management systems will make the factory controls less important and the standardized CAN BUS being used right now will make some cool aftermarket stuff possible going forward.

It's not going to be cheap, but I don't think the controls systems means modern cars are just going to have to be scrapped when they're 20 years old.

Agreed, I may be over-inflating the complexity of the restoration project. But if someone runs a standalone system in this car, it will not be an OEM-like car and thus its value will not be as high.

Its like taking an original Dodge Charger R/T with a broken carb and slapping on a brand new holley double pumper as a replacement; now try to sell the car as a stock restored classic. It will be worth less because you have the new stuff on there that wasnt OEM.

So I guess, if one were to entirely recreate the CANBUS system, it would be costly, in 50 years. And I think more costly as compared to restoring a 50 year old car today.