View Single Post
      08-29-2018, 06:34 AM   #20
zestyfesty
Rep
Drives: E82 125i

Thanks for the detail JBT2. IF I go there, I'll duly note your comments. That bump stop looks like a chocolate brownie!

I have MCA Reds on another car and they are deeply impressive things when the going gets fast and ugly. However the 1 is a daily 99% of its life, my wife is splendidly happy with it as is, so I'll work hard to leave it untouched....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT2 View Post
Very nice car zestyfesty. Get onto your dealer and see if you can move up the line for the airbag replacement. You get new horn button and roundel too.

Agree about the suspension. It's like BMW ran out of interest once they got below the car sills and said "that'll do". Fine for autobahns but, Australian roads....

There are alternatives to sort the suspension issues. I'm very happy with the performance of the MCA Street Essentials recently fitted on our 135i. Going for a more extended drive this weekend and will have a very good opportunity to compare with my not so fond memories of the OE arrangement.

There are issues with front coilovers on the E8x and probably the E9x too in that there is very little clearance between the wheel/tyre and the front strut.

Wheels and tyres wider than OE can be a big problem, so make sure you understand the limitations. In particular, look at how BMW arranged the strut spring perch so that it's above the tyres and know that you need to have any aftermarket spring perch as high as possible to avoid interference. The OE spring perch is 200mm above the point where the strut sits in the hub carrier. Beware that most coilovers will be lower than that.

This thread is very technical and helpful: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956039

Pic of OE (dead) strut with dimensions + or - a couple of mm.
Appreciate 0