View Single Post
      02-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Seeing how your location says NJ, NYC, Baltimore -- seems like you'll have issues with most aftermarket suspensions eventually. What was the purpose of coilovers, to be able to run lower than a regular spring/shock setup? To be able to run same or higher at certain times? Or were you looking for increased performance?

If you're looking to go slammed, no option will work for you in the long run seeing how the roads you drive on are crap.

If you're looking for adjustability, I would think about picking up Koni's and a coilover conversion kit like the one GC offers (not sure if they make something for the 1-series but they did for other makes). Or just research different ride heights by different spring/shock setups based on user feedback here and choose the one that *works* for you.

And if it just comes down to performance, you'd be surprised how far a good set of performance shocks will go in terms of handling.

*edit*

Saw your last post, you mean ride height adjustability? That tells me you want something that'll avoid rubbing yet something lower than stock. There has to be a spring combo that works for you, whether that be something mild like the BMW Perf springs or Eibachs. My point is... do you actually need something you can adjust throughout the year or do you need something that'll simply clear your wheels? If it's the latter, there are springs out there that'll work -- you just have to search. Or worst case, find spring/shocks you like and work on the fenders and think about adding some camber to tuck the wheels in. 9 times out of 10 coilovers are unnecessary for street and only needed when someone wants to go lower than they should. I find it funny when someone actually spends the money for a decent set of coilovers and doesn't even bother getting the car corner balanced.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 02-01-2014 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0