View Single Post
      06-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #31
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Good good! I'm sure you would also have found it, if you'd used the wrong numbers yourself...

Next question; that coordinate for the top of the strut - where is that in relation to the top flange of the strut mount/camber plate, where it bolts up to the chassis, please? I assume the coordinates refer to the centre point of the rubber bushing where the strut attaches to the mount, but in order to get useful geometry for my purposes I need to know where that is relative to the chassis attachment.

I've got a functional model in CAD now, but I just need to know that one bit of information in order to transpose it for the e90/1. (And I'm just going to change the rear ride height by the same amount as the front, and pretend that's accurate).

Thanks!
I have revised the strut image to show the strut and spring compressed, and added the location of the mounting flange, which should clarify that the top dimension you were asking about is centred on the rubber bushing a you assumed. Note that my geometry includes a 10 mm spacer where the strut buts up against the upright. You have probably noted that I added this to increase my ride height while eliminating the need to add spring preload. Also, I am using a custom camber plate (based on a Ground Control street plate, but taller and angled to align the spring axis with the strut axis), so the dimensions I have provided are unique to my setup. The basic strut dimensions are Ohlins, of course. To the extent your setup differs, you will need to adjust your strut and camber plate / top fitting geometries. If you are using the original strut top fitting, note that the rubber deflection of this part under static loading is significant (about 5 mm) and needs to be accounted for too.

Name:  Front Strut Geometry.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  108.0 KB
Appreciate 2