View Single Post
      05-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Perhaps the right move with Toyota. I had a 2018 Tacoma automatic (a regular auto) and the shifting logic was absolutely insane. For me, it was borderline undriveable and got far worse after the test drive as it "learned" over time. It drove me crazy enough that I sold it after a year. I'll never own a Toyota product again. I went on a test drive with a friend looking at RAV4s last week and it was the same shit. He put his foot in one spot and it upshifted, downshifted, then upshifted twice in the space of 5 seconds. You are likely better off with the CVT in a modern Toyota.
I guess I have to experience what you're describing. For my situation, it's on a C-HR. In addition to the under powered motor for a 3300 lb car, the trans doesn't do it any favors. The simulation of gear shifting causes the engine to just rev up hanging where there is no acceleration just noise. At lower RPMs, whatever the trans is doing, causes the engine RPMs to jump up with slight throttle application instantaneously. There's no gradual ramp up of RPMs as you would expect if the trans is set on a specific gear. You might say that's not a bad thing to spool up the engine to get into the power band. But the spin up of RPMs doesn't translate into a requisite increase in acceleration.

Toyota put out a hybrid trans for the 2019 Corolla hatch back. It has an actual 1st gear used as a launch gear which afterwards the CVT would take over.
Appreciate 1