View Single Post
      08-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #87
SteveAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
Gents, I just completed this job using Whiteline two-piece bushings. Part number KDT917. Essentially the same as the Prothanes. Couple notes for those out there considering the mod.

Decent price, shipped quick: http://www.aftermarketsuspensionpart...sp?prod=KDT917

- This CAN BE a simple job, no joke. You just need a good assortment of tools (two jacks, vice grips, torx sockets (E18) all the usual hand tools. You also need to be good with your jacks, as you'll be manipulating the cars weight to press bushings over a single point... things could get scary QUICK if you or your equipment aren't proficient.

- If you have an aftermarket axleback, you likely do not need to remove it or touch it in any way. Hell, same might go for the oem piece. It just never presented an issue for me in place, and I also installed an M3 rear swaybar. Still enough clearance.

- If you're doing a rear swaybar, do it during this install.

- You do not need a special tool at all. I wedged a large diameter socket (24mm) between the top of each bushing and the underbody of the car (props to the OP!). You then jack the subframe near that point until the rear corner that you're on lifts off the jack by about 1/4-1/2". Heat the metal around the mount until it starts to slip out the bottom, it will take a few minutes. As it slips out the car comes back to rest on the jacks. Jack it higher, bushing is pressed out further, etc etc.

Car feels MUCH more confident and planted. It's entirely noticeable and satisfying. If you have any questions, post up!
Hell yeah! Nice to see somebody was paying attention...nice job!
2013 F10--JB4/BM3
2015 F82--Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP & PI--PS2 Turbos-- JB4/BM3-FBO
Appreciate 0