04-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #221
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
So my car is just hitting 80k miles. I called my dealership, where I have had all service done up to this point (I have the extended maintenance plan, which expires in one month) and asked when/if my plugs and coils have been changed. My plugs were changed in December, but they said my coils have never been replaced.

What is the normal interval for coils? I thought around 50k, but apparently not?
Most people change them when they start to get misfires or when they get up around 85K miles.

I changed my coils out bc I was changing my spark plugs and it just made sense to do so.

Quote:
I am considering trying out the MHD tune, and they recommend changing out the plugs and coils first and gapping the plugs to .022. Since my plugs were just done, they don't need replacing, but what is the stock gap? Isn't is around .025?

Do the plugs come preset to recommended OEM gap?
Yes, factory plugs bought at a dealer come pre-gapped. It's pretty hard to change the gap bc the factory plugs are triple electrode and it's hard t get a gaping tool up inside the electrodes.

Here are my BMW dealer bought plugs... note now they say: "BMW - Bosch" and not just Bosch on them.
Name:  spark plugs mine II 20170524_131028.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  113.2 KB

New vs Old plugs...
Name:  spark plugs mine N54.jpg
Views: 1911
Size:  141.2 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamelCamel View Post
I have the 2013 BMW 135is with the N55 and the stock gap on the Bosch plugs are 0.032. The Bosch plugs come pre-gapped, but it doesn't hurt to double-check if you can without damaging the plug (I used the blade-type gap tool.)

I changed my plugs out just a few days ago (37k miles) and the plugs that were in there may have been fairly new. All plugs were still gapped at 0.032 and looked very clean. The car still hesitates and stumbles when I have the HVAC on. I'm pretty sure it's just over-engineering with the computer trying to compensate for the HVAC system.

-Sam
IS your car a DCT model ? That hesitation could be caused my the SW level. There is a pretty big thread on the DCT lag from a stop or roll... and a new SW flash seems to cure it.

Checkout zx10guy awesome thread on the DCT lag...

My DCT lag, idle issue, and lurching problems.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402323

and also check your battery coding...

DCT delay fixed
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1251909

Dackel
Appreciate 1
Cavpilot2k1023.00