vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Thanks for the offer Vince!

I'll let you know once I decide what I'm going to do with clutch upgrade..

Just looking at the pictures it seems relatively easy to grip the flywheel in a 4 jaw with a set of deep set jaws, and skim say 0.5mm off the face to remove the thin layer of the heat affected zone (any blue marks caused by excessive heat)

One thing I'm unsure of if removing thickness from the flywheel has any detrimental effects?

Ideally I would retain oem like driveability, so may go for the proven 550i/oem DMF or possibly motiv if I ever go for upgraded twins or ST...

Currently I'm thinking of just sticking with oem turbos and install inlets and be happy with 320-330 rwkw in a 'street' car.
I think given that the machining marks are still present you'd easily get away with only machining 0.25mm. Given that the pressure plate has to compensate for the clutch disc wearing and becoming thinner I think that it should be fine.

If you were going upgraded turbos you definitely want to get a single mass, probably one of the heavier ones to retain stock drivability.

Just a tip, do not use the OEM/550i clutch with a single mass flywheel! The BMW clutch discs are completely rigid with a fixed hub and combining that with a single mass is going to give you noise. If going for a single mass, go for an aftermarket sprung clutch disc for smoother engagement.