View Single Post
      11-12-2016, 03:31 AM   #70
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Installed combox! I had purchased a Combox Telematics from the USA for a good price.

Installation requires some repinning of plugs and coding.

All the pins on the MULF2 unit (non telematics) I had are compatible with either Combox MEDIA or Combox Telematics. For a retrofit you can buy either one, doesn't matter. The actual harness plug is NOT the same though.

The only annoyance I found was that the bluetooth antenna cable was 2CM too short to reach the unit when bolted in. I have fitted one of these to a 3 series and it seems like that vehicle had a bit more slack built into the cable. I have ordered a FAKRA 'Z' extension cable:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191522538...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1x 61136913644 - harness plug
1x 61136913626 - socket housing

Coded it up and worked a treat:

Needed to remove:
#0909 - Mines an Oct 08 build, too old
$606 - Navigation Business

Needed to add:
$609 - Nav professional
$6VA - CIC
$6VC - Combox
$7SP - Combox
$614 - BMW Internet
$615 - BMW Online
$6NR - BMW Apps

The main reason I got the combox is to allow Bluetooth music streaming and reading of SMS messages. Both worked without a hitch. Great ot finally be able to play music from my phone and be able to use the steering wheel to skip tracks.

BMW Apps I can't get to work at all, tried both of my Android phones which are recognized by the audio player but wont detect when I select BMW apps.

BMW online and internet didn't work either initially, but more on that later.

Since the BT antenna is too short, i'm just leaving the combox loose in the boot, with a towel underneath it to stop it from scratching the metalwork. Will need to wait for the cable before I can bolt it in properly.

Images show the combox, SMS view and BT audio selection
Attached Images