06-03-2020, 06:53 PM   #17
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
From my link above, prize money is one issue but column 5 seems completely out of line. Basically they pay the premium teams even more regardless of how they do, just because of who they are.

I agree money doesn't guarantee success but having more of it makes your odds go up. I believe all of our professional sports have some type of revenue sharing to give the small market teams a little better chance but if we came up with a system where we paid the Cowboys an extra $73 million because they are the Cowboys (like Ferrari in F1) nobody would consider this fair. Revenue sharing is anti capitalism but as much as we like to think of the teams competing with each other, the combined "show" suffers when the owners (Liberty) can't put on a good event. I would argue the event isn't as good as it could be when we know before the season starts that it is highly unlikely teams 4-10 have any chance of winning even one of the 20+ races.

What do you think the odds are of Haas winning a race next year or even in the next 5 years, even with the best leadership available? Liberty wants me to cheer for them an their possible 7th place finish in a race if they do everything just right? Maybe we can hope one of the top 6 wrecks, as Haas has close to zero chance of beating them in a race? I guess pray for rain as it is one of the few things that mix up the results.
I completely agree that a more equitable prize money distribution structure would help the teams further down the grid. I guess the point I was trying to get across is that while more money would have it easier for Williams to survive, there's no guarantee that they wouldnt be in this same situation a few years down the line. The prize money thats awarded to teams accounts for anywhere between 30%-50% of a teams budget (if memory serves me right). So if the team doesnt have strong leadership, they'll continue to get poor results, causing less sponsor interest, leading to less income and a potential sale of the company.

That all being said, I am all for a more equitable money distribution system. We cant afford to lose more teams and it seems its only going to get harder to find potential buyers for a team going forward.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick59520.00
David701567.00