View Single Post
      04-24-2017, 05:31 AM   #143
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Have been experimenting with sway bars now.

I have already fitted an E92 M3 (26.5mm) front sway, result was positive, reduced the body roll and camber loss on full lean was reduced massively.

I bought an E93 M3 (28mm with 24.5mm taper) and tried it out. With the stock 12mm rear sway bar the car feels a bit off with such a stiff front and soft rear. I got a ton of front understeer when trying to take sharp corners quickly. The rear was too soft causing the front to unload. On more open corners, the increased front roll stiffness is beneficial, I noticed less understeer on long corners, as I was still experiencing camber loss on body lean. Additionally, I noticed the stiffer E93 sway meant i had more rear traction which was quite nice (bearing in mind I have the LSD). This is expected as a softer rear in relation to the front will aid in rear grip (in general).

These findings lead me to believe the front ride height is still too low and I have now decided I have outgrown the Bilstein B12s for my car. It is too low because I am still getting camber loss on full lean, if I raise the ride height this will give me better geometry for the front at the expense of some camber, and will also make the car more practical over speed bumps.

I feel the tyres generate too much grip for the B12s to keep up, the low ride height and fairly soft eibach springs mean it is not the most ideal setup for this vehicle. I think a coilover setup will work better and allow me to tune the suspension to match the upgraded parts such as the LSD, stiffer sways and bushings. With better dampers I should retain decent ride quality.

I ended up removing the E93 M3 sway and reverted to the E92 sway. Definitely getting more understeer on long corners and reduced understeer on taking sharp corners fast.
Attached Images