View Single Post
      05-03-2017, 11:23 PM   #150
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Fitted a rear 15mm e9x sway bar when I did the diff fluid.

This bar is found on E93 Msport models and all XI AWD 3 series models. I bought mine from the USA which came off a 328xi.

The installation requires the rear subframe to be dropped quite a lot. Brake lines, vbrace and rear shocks needed to be disconnected before the subframe can be lowered enough to give enough space for the sway bar to fit.

I have done a few M3 rear sway bar installs on other cars, these bars are thicker and much harder to fit. If I was doing an E92 M3 22.5mm rear bar I would disconnect the rear section of the exhaust to lower it even more. While you can technically get away with not disconnecting the shocks and exhaust, it will make your job so much easier.

The stock bar is 12mm and while a 3mm increase in diameter doesnt sound like much, you have to remember the torsional stiffness of a bar increases by the 4th order of the diameter. Initial driving impressions are positive, its dialed out the understeer quite a bit and the car feels pretty neutral at the limit now. The only downside is the rear likes to step out a bit more.

Due to the poor weather I have been unable to reach the limits of grip in the dry to fully explore the high speed cornering. Will keep evaluating for a few extra weeks before throwing the E93 28mm front sway back on.
Attached Images