View Single Post
      12-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #98
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
1M has the same flywheel, gearbox, engine internals, downpipes, etc as 2009+ N54 equipped 135i's. Same tune and extra cooling that the PPK provides too. As discussed in a few past threads. Wheels and tires most people change. So not too much is actually different, unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it).
well... it sure is...
Quote:
The N54B30TO under the hood is a revised version that originally debuted in the Z4 35is. With several internal updates (piston rings and a lighter flywheel to name two) we expect that BMW is being very conservative with the actual power output of this engine. And you’ll be happy to know it revs faster than any turbocharged BMW engine I’ve ever had the pleasure of driving. Power starts low and goes seemingly unabated until the 7000 redline. With the M button on and the throttle response sharpened even further, the car has a much more point and shoot mentality than any of the high-revving M3s.

Similarly the 1M’s manual transmission has also been revised from its donor car; the 135i. It’s been optimized for low friction and quicker, smoother shifting. It also adds a shallow pan for the dry sump system and weighs in at a surprisingly light 43 kg (95 lbs). The clutch has also been suitably beefed up to handle the extra power and torque.

The 1M’s turn-in is eager in a way that the 3,900 M3 can’t match. The feel from the re-calibrated (and very well weighted) speed sensitive hydraulically operated steering is hands-down better than that of the normal 135i. Part of that has to do with the much more direct E92 M3 derived ratio; 12.5:1 vs 16.0:1 on the 135i and 15.4:1 on the E46 M3. It all serves to make the 1M feel immediate and more tossable than any M car since the E30. But that direct ratio is also quite livable. Unlike the Z4M it’s not the kind of car that constantly demands your attention while driving down the highway in a straight line.

Last edited by -Z-; 12-20-2011 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0