View Single Post
      05-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #55
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

GOOD NEWS!!!

i spent friday night playing and this afternoon actually installing one of my prototype.

as of right now the products name is "COOL BRAKE PLATE" a product of PiTBULL Racing LLC... patent pending.

no phots or data may be used and or copied or repoduced without the expressed written consent of myself.

the scope of the product is to aid in the cooling of the front brakes of BMW 1 series vehicles under normal driving and HPDE / TIME TRIAL / Similar Limited Race conditions. Full race / Enduro applications would require dedicate brake ducting and PiTBULL Racing does not intend this product for that application.

This includes US spec 128 and 135 ,and other world variants. other applications may follow.

all photographs are of a 2011 128 up fitted with the BMW Performance brake kit. In so much as the upgrade is identical to a 135, and the backing plate used is from a 135, fittment should not be an issue. wheel used in this fitment are OEM style 206 wheels in a 17 x 7 size with OEM offset. as most 135 have 18" wheels , the fittment should not be an issue.

After installing my first prototype (ive made 3 to this point) just too see clearence issues, i discoverd the root cause of all of our excessive heating concerns..

Basically, the OEM backing plate is positioned almost 1" INSIDE the wheel. as can be seen in the attached photo. the "groove in the wheel is basically equal to the edge of the backing plate in its standard location . the only cool air getting to the rotor is though a small 1/2 inch slot no longer than 2 inches near the hub. This positioning of the plate allows amost no ram air to the rotor face or center hub. In actuallaty, cooling the rotor face does not do alot, but cooling the center hub and letting air traveling through the vented rotor from center to outside edge is how affective cooling is accomplished.

in the photo, the OEM backing plate is still intact. the sheet metal piece you see sticking out from the center is my first prototype used for clearence concerns under full lock. As stated earlier, look at the groove in the rim, and the edge of the OEM plate.

The COOL BRAKE DUCT is designed to work with the original backing plate, modified to a degree to allow for additional ram air to be directed directly at the rotors hub, hence cooling the rotor and surronding area, including the caliper and pads.

more data to follow..
Attached Images