11-02-2020, 10:43 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by werman View Post
Hello to all! I purchased a 1M a few weeks ago and love it.

I think the stock exhaust system sounds great with the exception of significant drone in 6th gear on the highway.

One of the threads I've perused has pictures which suggest that the resonator on the stock 1M mid pipe is hollow (thus non-functional) and that this might explain the droning.

What I'm thinking of doing is swapping my stock 1M mid pipe for a N54 mid pipe harvested from a 135i. My research suggests that the resonator is functional on the 135i mid pipe and that this might help with the problem.

I've considered the N55 mid pipe but the comments regarding unpleasant odors and very loud start-up volume are steering me away from this swap.

I would be interested in comments on my proposed plan or other suggestions regarding reducing/eliminating drone. I've upgraded the "flat storage compartment" (under the hard trunk liner in front of the battery compartment) with some Dynamat and Luxury Liner Pro and it has helped a bit but the drone persists.

Thanks and I'm excited and happy to be a member of the 1M community!
Welcome. IDontRemember does a lot of work on his car and is a great resource. I wish you were closer so I could listen to your drone. I have heard of such a thing. I have owned two 1M coupes, one brand new since .3 miles to a used one starting at 9K miles. I have test driven countless ones and there is a slight "drone" but I never heard a stock one that was objectionable though I have heard about it for years. Are you sure yours is all stock and it hasn't been modified? It could also be that the "drone" just isn't uncomfortable to me too. I know certain sharp sounds are painful to me. Sometimes my daughter even cackles laughing and it can hurt so I can see that certain frequencies can affect people differently but anyway, since you got yours used, just wonder if it really is all stock? Some of these cars have gone through 3-5 owners and one might not even realize it.

Welcome and best of luck.
Appreciate 0