View Single Post
      07-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #17
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchdev View Post
Hi there, this is my first post so be gentle :-)

I track my 1M exclusively. I have about 30 track days at tracks such as Mosport, Watkins Glen and Mont Tremblant.

My car, up until last week, was stock. My philosophy is to get 100% out of the stock car before doing upgrades.

So I completely agree with you about the behaviour of the rear-end. I come from a Z4 M Coupe, which is a very well mannered car so the 1M felt like a wild bull.

On the street, good tires make a bit of difference but with a short wheel base and a lot of torque, the car will feel uncomfortable when pressed.

My comments relate more to the track. The Pilot Sports are not a track tire so upgrading to PSS's or P4S's is a great move. When you get to the limits of them you can upgrade to RE71R's or RS4's.

The single biggest thing that I did to stabilize the car on the track is the M
button. I find that with it off, the turbo spools up when I am accelerating out of the corners. Where I am with my speed, 4th gear and the revs, the turbo punches me in the back and makes the car unstable. By using the M button, the power comes on smoother. Many will say that the M button makes it more twitchy but for me, when the waste gates are closed, the turbos provide smooth power. It took me a year before I pressed the M button and I had many very uncomfortable moments before I did.

So caveat is, you need to be smooth with the throttle. That is good practice in any car. Use it like a light switch and you will have twitchy issues regardless.

From my experience, the 1M is a very fast track car. I am doing great lap times which keep up with good drivers in e92 M3's. You have to work at it and it takes time but this car does fly.

For interest sake, i just installed MCS 1-way suspension with Vorshlag camber plates. I am also now running a square set up of 275's Nitto NT01's. My comments above are about stock with a good tire.

I hope this helps in a small way. Enjoy the car on the track. Drive safe!
This is an interesting thought that I’ve never considered. The M button makes the throttle even harder to modulate on the street but on track I can see how altered wastegate mapping might be beneficial.
Appreciate 1