View Single Post
      04-09-2009, 02:06 AM   #47
DueceCoupe
Rep
Drives: Civic.Si,R75/5BMW,LexusES350

Sorry you had one of those days but I've done worse.

I pretty much agree with everyone that is for claying...even the guy who uses soapy water instead of lube. I know many who do it that way. (The "soften in warm water" thing is new to me and I'll try that and see what happens.) I'll throw in some random comments to things I have read here...just my 2 cents and I claim no special insight, etc.

Auto Magic #49 Body Shine, detailer supply store in El Paso is where I find that, is the same Clay Magic lube one gets in the kit. Use plenty of lube like everyone says....#49 used to be under $20 a gallon. Assuming a perfect wash and dry, put your hand in a thin zip lock bag and carefully move it across the paint. If you feel little bumps then you know....clay. For the rail dust potential alone I clay a new car.

Just so you don't feel like an idiot, I once clayed a windshield and ended up micro marring it to h#ll years ago. AND....I just clayed my wife's new Lexus last weekend. Afterwards I see too many fine lines here and there. Did I just do that? During the wash? Maybe from the dealership when they took off the shipping protection? Something in the clay bar I picked up is most likely what happened. It got better....I later discovered two "bad marring" spots the clear guard and window tint shop put in the finish! Took an hour to correct with the "folded cotton towel" method....but the slow build up or micro marring here and there is a trivial matter to me after many years of trying to be the perfect hobby detailer. I'll clean them up a bit once a year with the PC.
Appreciate 0