View Single Post
      02-05-2019, 02:24 AM   #11
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Your post does not make any logical sense. The "clean" intake air is what pulls a vacuum through the catch can. How much vacuum is determined by the check valve in the valve cover. Same goes for blow-by pressure... the valve cover check valve controls how much pressure the valve cover sees, not the catch can.

The screen is there to keep debris from entering the intake. Since I have the air inlet attached to the outlet it just means any debris coming out of my valve cover and ENTERING the can will get clogged in the feed line pre-catch can. There is really no debris to speak of though for the screen to catch so it's useless for that purpose. That is why I thought to run the can in reverse and use the screen that's built into the outlet port as an air filter for oil to collect on before the air passes through the can and into the clean air intake tract. Debris still gets caught and now the screen also helps separates oil/air.

I obviously ran the can the intended way for quite some time... I stated I had an oil residue BEFORE I began running the can in reverse.
I don’t have this catch can on my 335 which I should have stated in the beginning. I have it on a 550whp dsm that pushes 30 plus psi E85 and I use no check valve. So I guarantee I get way way more blow by , crank case pressure and vacuum than you. Motor was built with loose piston to ring clearances as well as bearing clearances and only runs 20w50 synthetic oil.Total opposite of how BMW builds their engines with tight clearances that also create high heat. N55 Hottest running motor I have ever seen oil temp and water temp wise.
Any oil residue I get ends up in the can pre filter and stays in the can.No oil ends up in my intake post filter which is hooked up to my vacuum source (turbo intake pipe).Again no check valve. The filter is helping keeping oil out of my intake. I used to have it reversed like you unknowingly and I got oil in my intake, compressor side of turbo and the entrance of my FMIC. Not anymore when I hooked it up how Mishimoto states. If it works for you I guess that is all that matters. Being that we are in NY assuming NYC I have no problem showing you my setup.

Last edited by ceedawg; 02-05-2019 at 02:44 AM..
Appreciate 0