View Single Post
      10-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #74
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

3rd Oil Change

I did two oil changes early using kits and just did my third. I am now out of the "free" maintenance period and can't accept $100+ oil changes. I generally do oil changes myself to save time as well as money and to make sure it is done right.

I used Mobil 1 European 0-40W oil from Walmart (it's on BMW's list of acceptable oil). I bought two 5 quart containers and only put in a little over 1 quart of the second container. That is a little more work but the oil is only about $5/quart in the 5 quart versus close to $8 in individual quarts. I used a Mann HU816X which worked perfectly and looked exactly like the BMW filter. It also comes with the o rings and new gasket for the drain plug. I spent about $60 in materials but will spend about $35 next time and possibly one more (depending on whether the car asks for the other quart). So really more like $45/oil change for parts. I got the filter from Amazon. Seems like I order from them every few weeks and can use another $10 item to get to $25 so I get free shipping a fair number of times. I ordered the oil from the internet for in store pickup at walmart (so free shipping). It was available the same day which is odd because I've never seen it on the shelves there - I need to check again.

It is full to the maximum line according the my dash display after I added slightly over 6 quarts (as close to 6 as I could manage pouring the last quart out of a 5 quart jug). I forgot to raise the back to get it level. I also didn't do the filter until putting the drain plug back on. I think it retained a bit more old oil as a result. I plan to change every 5K miles so it should be fine regardless. I'd like to add a pint more to see the effect but I hate taking oil out so I probably won't.

Last edited by JimD; 10-15-2013 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0