View Single Post
      11-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #76
BigD128i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 6MT, M-sport

Just did my first oil change thanks to the information on this thread and also Youtube. It was 3500 miles, due to mileage accumulated during Euro Delivery, PCD, and being busy the past few months. Oil and filter didn't look too bad (in my newbie opinion), but am still glad I did this. We'll see what Blackstone Labs has to say.

In case it helps, here are some notes:
1. On my car (a 2013 128i 6MT), the oil drains straight down. I know there was some discussion on whether the sideways drain bolt was due to being a newer model or AT vs MT. Small sample size, but this would suggest that the orientation of the bolt depends on the transmission.
2. I put in 6 quarts with just a splash (~1 second pour) from the 7th quart. After starting up and driving around a little, the oil level gauge read OK and was at the Max level. After about 10 miles of driving, the gauge had gone down by about 1/6 of the distance between the Min/Max levels. I let the car sit overnight and next day the reading was the same. I will probably add just a little more today to get back up to Max.
3. I used a DIY garage where you can rent a bay and car lift for $20/hr. For seasoned DIYers and if you are trying to minimize costs, this is probably irrelevant, but as this was my first ever DIY car project, having the car all the way up helped. I have ramps and plan to do future oil changes at home, but I will probably go back to this garage to do the transmission and rear diff fluids. If you are in the Dallas area, the place is called MyBay Automotive in Denton. Every 7 hours you buy, you get a free hour. I think there is a similar place in Plano.
Appreciate 0