02-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #90
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
We did start one, but it did not fair the market well so we scrap it.
Thanks Harold.

When would a finned diff cover actually be justified?

Did you ever see cases of burnt LSD units due to overheating at the track? I heard of such an experience on two occasions from a local forum member, but dont have the specifics. Maybe this could happen if you are going to be lapping for an extended period of time, without cool downs ,etc.

Is there a simple visual check one can make such as diff fluid boiling and oozing out out from the top vent hole on the diff?

One serious advantage with the specific cover from VAC is its larger capacity to hold diff fluid. Beyond the cooling from the air exposed fins, the larger qty of fluid in itself must help with lowering the temperature and keeping the metal shavings in lower concentration between fluid change intervals. Just speculating ...
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts

Last edited by dcaron9999; 02-10-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0