View Single Post
      02-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #93
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
Thanks Harold.

When would a finned diff cover actually be justified?

Did you ever see cases of burnt LSD units due to overheating at the track? I heard of such an experience on two occasions from a local forum member, but dont have the specifics. Maybe this could happen if you are going to be lapping for an extended period of time, without cool downs ,etc.

Is there a simple visual check one can make such as diff fluid boiling and oozing out out from the top vent hole on the diff?

One serious advantage with the specific cover from VAC is its larger capacity to hold diff fluid. Beyond the cooling from the air exposed fins, the larger qty of fluid in itself must help with lowering the temperature and keeping the metal shavings in lower concentration between fluid change intervals. Just speculating ...
You will not have a problem with a Quaife or Wavetrac as they product much less heat than a clutch type LSD. We have tracked and competed our 335i without a finned cover of any kind without any issues. Our 135i was tracked with and without the finned cover, again, without any issues.

In the years of running both Quaife and Wavetrac we have not seen metals in the gear oil. If you do, there is a problem. You may be accustomed to the clutch type LSD, which will deposit lots of metal in the oil between changes from wear and tear.
Appreciate 1