09-15-2018, 01:30 AM   #17
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Funny, I actually just ordered some Redline ATF-D4. I'll probably throw that in there over the weekend and see how it goes. The Motylgear has friction modifiers to help worn synchros engage like the GM Synchromesh, but maybe both are too thick. The ATF-D4 may produce better results.

What gives me hope is that the right fluid can absolutely make a huge difference in shifting. When I got my Honda back from the dealer, they replaced the smooth-shifting GM Synchromesh with Honda MTF. The car was virtually un-shiftable. It was a shocking difference. Once I replaced the Honda MTF again, everything was perfect.

Fortunately gearbox oil is something that's both relatively easy and inexpensive to swap out.
I tested Castrol 75w-90 and B75W and the shifts are notchy.

After researching i found out that the 75w-90 is not BMW approved and the B75W is MTF-LT2 approved where the transmission on my car required MTF-LT3, so i still have the incorrect fluid.

No redline or AC brands here in Germany, i am considering picking up LT-3 directly from the dealership now, since i can not find any brand offering this specification.

I will do the valve delete in Spring when i replace the brake fluid, as well as new ABE approved SS lines for the brakes.

I found this brand:
https://www.amazon.de/RAVENOL-MTF-3-...s=BMW+MTF+LT-3

I think this is an alternative to purchasing directly from BMW? should i go for it?

Last edited by Zombie_Head; 09-15-2018 at 02:02 AM..
Appreciate 0