Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
the flaw in your logic is in thinking that in saying " much the same car" you feel that I am saying " Exactly the same car "

the points you have made regarding differences are all true... no one discounts them.. but they are minor differences.. I am by no means saying these differences are not important..

DCT/MT available vs MT only
hydraulic vs electric steering
nominal weight difference
nominal size differences
"twitchy " vs whatever you want to call it handling..
"analog" vs "digital "
no active sound vs active sound etc..

As stated previously the 1M and M2 (all variants) are all four Seat, front engine, 2 Door compact sports sedans with a 3.0 liter inline 6 motor driving the rear wheels. They share FAR more in common than they do differences.. heck.. the entire seats, front and rear including levers for lowering the seats from the trunk are identical. The wheels and tires are the same widths etc etc etc...

by comparison.. an M3 is a 4 door, FIVE SEAT vehicle that is much larger vehicle... a Corvette is TWO seat RWD vehicle that is also longer.... and has a V8 push rod motor.. A 911 is a 6 cyl RWD , rear engine mounted... 2 +2.... and something like an X2 as a crossover is also completely different.. All of those vehicles are MUCH more different than the 1M vs the M2.

The simple fact is.... that if I went down onto a street like an episode of JAYWALKING and had pictures of a 1M, M2, M3, a Corvette and an X2 and asked people to pick the two that are most alike... I don't think a lot of people are going to come up with answers difffernt than the 1M/M2 *because* they are so much alike.
I think the point is that however small these differences may seem to some, they are huge to the sort of person who now, in 2018, would seek out a used, 7 year old 1M, in spite of its age and in spite of the absence of availability and in spite of the absence of a warranty. There aren't very many of them and they ain't makin' any more. Scarcity rules, people always want what they can't have.

The M2 is a production vehicle. There are a lot of them for sale this very instant, and if you are willing to wait a month or two or three, you can get a new one made just the way you want it.

I can tell you personally, that if I had the chance to place an order for a brand new 1M, I'd have done that (to have a second, newer one) rather than buying the M2 I just bought. Even at a higher price. But then, that is just me.
On that point we certainly agree. When I had the chance(s) to place an order for an M2 the differences are enough that I held off and kept the 1M because I favor it over the M2.

As matter of fact, if I currently owned *neither* car, I would buy a used 1M today ( and I have a sneaking suspicion you would perhaps do the same !) because mine is not a daily driver. I know I could daily drive it and I probably should more but I prefer not to. Mine has 36k miles or less and still feels like new.

As you indicate the M2 is available with a warranty and here i am with TWO cars out of warranty. Clearly a new car warranty isn't my biggest motivator in a purchase.

I don't believe an M2 Competition will move the needle for me. Perhaps bmw will come up with an M2 GTS style car that will knock my socks off.
Appreciate 1
champignon1565.50