View Single Post
      01-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #8
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
Yeah I know, I’m nitpicking more than anything but as good as the sport seats are for spirited driving, it just can’t hold me (I’m a slender 5’8”) enough on tight turns or esses. I did try the seat belt trick, maybe I’ll give it another shot.

I seriously contemplate getting buckets for the two front seats only for when doing track days and revert to factory when not. Although w the car being parked most of the year, doing that switch is pointless. But anyway, anyone know if having buckets but using three point belts is allowed for HPDE? I’m riding w NASA mostly but wanted to know if this passes tech.
once you go to a bucket seat you generally cannot use a 3-point or 4-point harness (scroth quick being an exception). You'll need a proper 5-point harness. A track like NJMP will never let you on. They have state regulations arounf race cars and police will even ticket you in the paddock (not common but they have been known to roll through and write tickets). I had this issue last year. Car was too fast for the stock seats. They were fine when I was first starting out but as I got faster I was being tossed all over the place. Bucket seats keep you in place, weigh less, and they have the added benefit of giving you a more "direct" feeling to the car. I saw my autocross times get way better just by changing seats and installing a harness. I just had that much more control over the car (Or I feel I do anyway). It is a big step though. Instant devaluation of the car especially with the harness install going through the floor pan in multiple places. Back seat is useless now as well. Still plenty comfortable if you don't care about the above. Just a bit harder to get in/out. I kept the stock seatbelt in place for street driving.
Appreciate 0