View Single Post
      07-28-2017, 07:37 AM   #32
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver610 View Post
I was finally able to change my battery specs in NCSExpert and registered it in INPA. However, I'm not sure that I did everything correctly:

1. Almost every battery registration instruction for INPA indicates to select engine MSD80. However, my engine (I think) is an MSS60. But when I selected MSS60 I received a German error "Not matching version - Malfunction Possible" and the screen switched to something that was totally different (and in German). I backed out of that mess and, although I believed the MSD80 option to be incorrect, I tried it and it worked. I registered the new battery. However, the battery showed in INPA that I had "91ah" when it should have read "90ah_agm." Does this have something to do with using the wrong engine? I don't even think 91ah is a valid value.

2. I then went to NCSEXPERT and downloaded the current settings to the FSW_PSW file and changed the battery from 90ah_agm to 90ah (I bought this lead acid battery by mistake, but no biggy). So, the car knew that it had a 90ah_agm battery despite what INPA originally reported.

I then went back into INPA via MSD80 and the battery showed correctly (90ah).

Questions:
- Did I use the wrong engine code in INPA and could I have done any damage when I registered the battery?
- I registered the battery PRIOR to changing the AH. Should I do the registration again or maybe this doesn't matter?
Choosing the wrong DME on accident won't hurt anything. INPA just won't be able to read properly.

It appears that the registration process resets the battery stats used by the Alternator charging algorithm to properly bias the charge rate over time as a battery ages. You can actually read the battery stats in INPA. I don't think resetting the stats (registering a new battery) is affected by what capacity and type battery is coded, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. The actual charge output is still based on the coded battery, which you have accurately coded now as 90_AH lead acid.

It wouldn't hurt though to just open things back up and re-register the battery quick...
Appreciate 0