View Single Post
      07-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #7
what have i got into
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 2013 X5d

Thanks for the input!

Brake fluid was changed just recently (6 months ago by BMW) and produced no change in the dust. The notes didn't say anything about uneven pad wear but just says front pads at 6.5mm thickness and rear brake pads at 8.5mm thickness. The rear rotors have no scoring at all, completely smooth.

I like the idea of checking temperature because after the brake fluid change, I had 2 days of warped rotor braking. Basically under decent braking, I would get the shaking steering wheel like the rotors were warped. Which I could see if one caliper was riding the rotor keeping it warm such that under braking it overheated. This went away after a couple of days of driving, but maybe the one caliper has just backed off just enough and the left caliper is still riding the rotor.

I'll pull the front wheels this week and see if there's any discernible difference. I can't believe 02Pilot and Dack suggest touching the wheel to see if it's hot... Why not just touch the rotor? Isn't the glowing red rotor the best way to remove fingerprints?

Thanks again!

Last edited by what have i got into; 07-07-2018 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0