View Single Post
      02-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
HISI808
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I was pleasantly surprised by the combination of ride, handling and wear on the OEM NCT 5s on my '08 128i convertible. Unfortunately, with the staggered sizes, you cannot rotate so my rears had to be replaced at 24,000 miles (down to 2~3/32") but there was a shortage of 225/45R17 stock at that time. (The fronts would have lasted at least another 15~20k miles.)

As it would have cost me $700 to replace only the two rears, I opted for four non RFT Conti DWS performance all-seasons - for $600 out the door. The ride is greatly improved, both dry and wet traction is still very good and I have the option of driving the car more in the winter. The only downside was tossing two good front tires and a slightly more mushy feeling while cornering - largely corrected by adding 3 psi to the stock pressures.

With a tread rating of 240, 28,000 miles is good, but not really exceptional for these tires - but I notice that Tire Rack does not list the 225/45R17 size for the NCT5s, so it looks like you'll have to replace the entire set when the rears wear out as I did.

Tom
Since you're running on non-runflats, do you carry a spare in the trunk or a can of fix-a-flat+air compressor?
Appreciate 0