View Single Post
      12-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Bimmertech does sell a front camera for this rear camera retrofit. I chose not to spend the money for one. The box has multiple A/V inputs. The front camera would connect into one of the 3 A/V inputs. The rear camera has a dedicated input for it. The box also has A/V outs which would be where you could connect a recording device. I currently am using the audio part of the A/V outs to provide sound from the SmartView device into the factory sound system. I had to run an RCA to 3.5mm cable from the box to the Aux jack under the armrest. I hid the cable through the dash and routed the cable between the carpet and the side of the center console.

Now I'm not sure if you can get the multimedia box to have both the front and rear cameras displaying at the same time let alone having the rear camera operate while the car is not in reverse. I'll have to check on the latter. But the multimedia box does have picture in picture capability. That's how I am able to have the satellite radio info displayed at the same time as the SmartView video in the picture above.
Appreciate 0