View Single Post
      02-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

How does the E-diff get power?

How does the E-diff get pressure to apply brakes if I'm not applying any pressure via the pedal? I can't see anything special in the master cylinder. The only thing I can find is the DCS Hydro Unit. Does this have some kind of electric plunger in it to generate brake pressure? I'm no fan of electronic nannies and unfortunately the E82 has several. Ultimately I plan to get a mechanical LSD and code out DSC altogether. I just don't like the idea that a computer can freak out and lock up my brakes at any time. Mechanical failures happen, but they're rare without some kind of warning. BMW electronics definitely fall under the category "known unknowns." At least we don't have electronic steering. Nothing is more unnerving to me than a car that can steer itself.

Ah yes, after doing more research, the DCS Hydro Unit does have an electric pump in it to generate its own pressure. Fortunately our units don't seem to have the problems that earlier units had, but I still don't care for them.

Ugh! I seriously wish I had a standalone ECU so I could rip out every other computer and sensor in the car.

Last edited by Thunderguts; 02-08-2019 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0