02-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #63
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBoss View Post
Agreed...despite the problems, it is truly an amazing engine
Heres to hoping the 1m won't share the same problem. Very wishful thinking me thinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
Your right, I should have elaborated a little more. My point being is that the new 1M shares many of the same components as its big brother M3 (E9x)does it not? Same chassis, shortened 3 inches. Same brakes and rotors etc... And it has better lap times than the previous gen M3 (E46)... Nonetheless, some may think this is comparing apples and oranges but I look at it like, they share the same bloodline and to some degree -components. Performance numbers obviously vary quite a bit from the E46, 1M, to the E9x but to ignore this car as being a "M" is absurd in itself...
Not everyone will drop $70k on a M3 without considering other brands in that price bracket (that will out-perform an M3)... I think what people are trying to say here is, that the new 1M is more affordable, it has good performance numbers, and it's an M

All this talk of the car not being a 'true' M car because of the engine, redline, etc etc is getting really old. An engine is not the be all end all of any car, nor does it's redline define it. The fact is this car will be a great performer for a great price. I think the initial drive will change many people's opinion of whether or not it deserves an M badge. In my mind it most certainly does, and my first drive will only further that thought in my mind.

To me too, this car is kicking off the future of the M brand. All the M cars look as if they will be going to forced induction, which will in general suggest lower redlines, as well as the slue of other changes that come with it.

Someone else was complaining that there was no carbon fiber roof. Paaa-lease, for such a low volume car asking for a carbon roof too is a little much. At under $50k this is a true bargain for a BMW M off the showroom floor no matter how you look at it.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0