View Single Post
      01-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #41
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I've got those docs. Although the motion ratio would be similar, I wouldn't suggest making such assumption. There were good examples in the doc itself that look like they will result in different motion ratios due to packaging and pickup points even though they use the same suspension generational design and concept.

Case in point, I have 0.83 written down for the rear damper motion ratio! Did you measure 0.72? The problem with the internet :P

Btw, why do you square .59 ? Isn't that only squared to find / calculate the wheel rate (after multiplying spring rate)

There is some BMW document technical comparison at the launch of the F82, where they compare to previous gen front M3 geometry. The only difference was slightly more SAI (KPI angle) which will affect camber. Apparently the GTS has the same overall geometry except a larger hole for the bespoke damper. You'll see JDM cars usually have a strut / knuckle fastened with an eccentric bolt allowing adjustment here.
I noticed this over the last 2 seasons. Asked a former pro as he has both GTS (E92 and F82). His first comment, much more neutral balance and can get away with less Fr static camber whereas the E92 had inherent understeer. It was also evident by his tyre wear / usage on the front.

Not to mention F8x cars easily get -4 static camber very easily. The strut tower is huge and simply has more space to place the strut inboard. Those 1M/135i racing above ended up with -5 by using an additional offset sandwich plate. One (or maybe more?) other team simply notched the towers. Important to note, you weren't allowed to change the spring location in those championships effectively banning rear C/O. Moving up a category, you could like this car (revalved, rear C/O clubsports):
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1674814
I talked to the suspension builder and he explained they use a slightly lower frequency due to the range of tyres used, and inexperience of the drivers (gentlemen racers).

I might have an opportunity to acquire a set of F80 knuckles, I'd need to get new BBK brackets built for it though.

ShaikhA Happy to see you post here. We spoke before mutually deciding that I preferred local support.

If you're local, I think it's a no-brainer for you guys.
Appreciate 0