CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
This is an interesting discussion. The inherent understeer dialed into the chassis of all modern BMWs is a well-established fact. It was one of the reasons why Randy Post did not like the 1M. There are numerous threads on this board dedicated to the work the people of done to dial out the understeer, which generally requires going to a square set up or changing parts to allow more aggressive camber in the front. Without doing at least one of those two things, there is very little that that can be done to change the balance of the car.

I agree that there are different styles of driving. There are also tricks that can be used to eliminate understeer such as trail breaking on corner entry, and using throttle to induce power oversteer midcorner and on corner exit, but that usually is not as fast as having a car that has balanced handling at the limit midcorner.

Some of the comments above illustrate the tricks that people are trying to use to get the car to rotate through a corner, but a short wheelbase tail happy car is never going to be a fast around the corner when you're trying to induce rotation by removing traction from the rear wheels through wheel spin. My set up has prompt turn in, four wheel slide through the middle half of every turn through the Apex, and a full throttle push to the track out on most corners, unless there are unusual elements present which you would always have to adjust for.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0