Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georj View Post
Does your car have an oil cooler also? If so, did you change the oil cooler gasket also?

I looked at number of videos. They are all for 328i. I could not find any videos for 2008 128i. Mine does not look like it has an oil cooler. Do some of these came without an oil cooler?
128i and 328i are exactly the same for this (I have one of each). I don't believe any N51/N52 came with an oil cooler.

It really is dead easy, I did my 128i last summer. The trick is to have an e-torx gearwrench to do the "backwards" bolt on the front (that was $20 from Amazon), and use a 1/4" u-joint with a long extension to do the one at the back. Drain the oil and the coolant too. You can get away with not draining the coolant, but it will make a mess and it is a great time to change it if it hasn't been done in a few years. There is no need to touch the intake manifold on an n51/n52.

At 50K miles mine was JUST starting to leak. Leakage was not visible with the housing in place, but once removed I could see where it had been leaking underneath. The gasket might as well have been a piece of plastic - baked harder than a burnt cookie. I was doing a major service so I had the airbox out and the oil and coolant drained anyway, so I figured I would just do it. And glad I did! My 128i has had now had the trifecta of gaskets replaced. Valve cover by the dealer I bought it from, oil pan by the previous owner, and now the OFHG by me. All set for another decade hopefully!

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0