07-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I did mistakenly say inside tire, when I should have said outside tire, entirely my mistake.
Good, so the eLSD is working well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Any idea if the 128i has the e-diff or not?
As far as I can tell, all recent BMWs have adaptive differential braking, including the 128i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
A mechanical LSD is more smooth and progressive - its just a better way of doing it from the standpoint of driving dynamics.
Thanks for the insightful explanation and information. We basically agree on the benefits of the system.

I'd still maintain that they are largely the same for most drivers, controllability and "feel" aside.

Quote:
Through personal experience I can tell you that the eLSD is a very jerky system - infact when its on at full bore you can hear it pulsating similar to an ABS system - next time youre at an autox pay attention for the sounds. In a slide you constantly have to correct for that pulsing - leading to a lot of work that you simply dont need to do.
I'll have to disagree on this one though. Neither the wheel speed and brake force data acquired, nor videos I've collected back this up. I could not see any pulsing or uneven pavement marks.
Appreciate 0