View Single Post
      09-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #160
xBlueStreakx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135

Early September, I decided to take another shot at addressing the 30FF issue. This time by removing everything I needed to get at the front WGA.

Before I embarked on this repair, I decided to order the VRSF OEM location inlets. Furthermore, I've had catless downpipes sitting in my garage since the start of the build and figured they'd go in as well.

What a royal PITA it was doing this job on jack stands... Getting at the front WGA required pulling the water pump (coolant shower, anyone?) in addition to downpipe removal, steering rack loosening etc. There was alot of swearing, here. Haha

Following some guides online, I shimmed the WGA brackets such that at -5.9inHg of vacuum on the WGA, the flappers were fully closed. Reassembly involved swapping in the VRSF inlets and the catless downpipes. As an aside, installing the rear inlet with the downpipes out of the way makes tightening the inlet to the turbo snout (almost) a breeze.

On Monday September 24th, I took the car to Toronto Motorsports Park (TMP) in Cayuga. Happy to report that we're back in business. The car pulled nice and strong and I managed to set a personal best of a 1:17.78. The data showed potential for a 16.x, however, I couldn't string together a clean lap in the one hot lap per session before the oil temps would send the car into limp mode. Onto the issues to address...

If you go back a few months, I decided to improve aero by removing the ER dual oil cooler setup in favour of a single setup behind the kidney grill. On a small/short track like TMP, the dual oil cooler setup is necessary as temps get out of control after one hot lap (plus one warm up). This winter, I'll be reverting back to the dual oil cooler setup. For a bigger track like Mosport (where over cooling is an "issue"), I'll modify the bumper covers to let in a fraction of the air a fully open setup would otherwise provide.

TL;DR. Car is back to being fast. Can get back to working on driver skill and setup.

Done for the season, though.
Appreciate 2
Yeineken1299.00
John_01232.00