10-03-2018, 12:13 AM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
I'm thinking in the near future only M's will have a manual option. All other standard models will be automatic.

Then again, 2019 M5 is no longer available in a manual
Hopefully for another generation. Actually, that was one of the big differences between BMW and all the other makers. Most of them only offered manuals on cheaper models and that lost them some business. At least from me. When I was shopping for a sedan, I looked at Lexus. manual only in IS250. Audi S3, only base A3 had manual. For a while Mercedes only offered on C250. They never understood that many manual buyers were not getting manuals for cost saving! BMW was the only one that offered it in their top cars. That was a huge difference. Audi recently dropped manuals and they said because no one was buying them. I tried to special order an S3 manual and they said no. As did others. Of course they didn't sell because automatics cost the same now.

The real blow here is that offering a manual in the 3 series, the bread and butter car, was the last true differentiator between Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity, Audi. Now, the only differentiator is the brand. The great feedback is gone. The great German instrumentation gone and replaced with blingy japanese-y instruments. If you are considering a sports sedan now you can only get automatic and that makes the Lexus IS350 a bigger threat. Higher resale value, more reliable and frankly, their new ugly styling is cool and unique. I actually like it. I can't really call it a mistake on BMW's part. The people that own BMW are multimillionares and I am not so how am I going to tell them they are making a mistake. But in business 101 you try to make your product stand out. You offer something others don't. This is one more milestone in BMWs downhill race to be just like all the other car makers. I'm sure they are laughing at my post on their cushy bed made of million of shredded 100 Euro bills.

: )

On the other hand as the owner of two of BMWs best manuals, I appreciate them that much more today!
Appreciate 2
seis-speed2430.50
///BYU268.50