View Single Post
      09-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #57
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I think the idea is that the 128i takes a bit more work to extract performance from.

Obviously it takes a lot of skill to control a car as powerful as the 135i at the limit, but to some extent, a mediocre driver could probably get away with more throttle mashing on the 135i than the 128i (in the sense that it's easier to drive a fast car fast).

There's actually a concurrent thread about a 135i/MX-5 comparo that talks about the 135i being "too fast" in the sense of being able to mask a novice driver's shortcomings somewhat.
That comparo, like the article here, is simply one persons interpretation.
And, these types of articles get written for whatever reason the author feels like.

One could just as easily take the viewpoint that it's much easier to drive a less powerful car, because you don't have to worry about overwhelming the tires or suspension. So it could be more fun to drive a slow car with a nice suspension setup.

The saying is not "it's easier to drive a fast car fast."
It's, "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, then to drive a fast car slow".
The implication being that a less powerful car is more forgiving to mistakes.
While a fast car isn't much fun when you can't drive it fast.

You apply full throttle in a Miata coming out of tight turn, and, hey, nothing bad happened, because there isn't enough power to overwhelm the tires and suspension. That gives you confidence, and confidence gives you encouragement and excitement to do it again. Some "slow" cars are a lot of fun. There is a reason why Miatas are so loved by a wide range of drivers.
Appreciate 0