View Single Post
      09-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #70
sjw985
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (BSM)

Mine blew up today on the way into work @38,400 miles... thankfully about 3 miles from the dealer, who is conveniently located between my home and my office. Still a ~$700-ish OEM repair.

As similarly experienced by others, it happened at a high RPM 1-2 shift getting onto the expressway. I heard a loud pop (windows open) and immediately backed off the throttle.... I thought I might have hit something.. scanned for lights/noises/vibrations, nothing... about 30 seconds later I thought, OK, all clear and stepped on the throttle in 6th. Whoops. No turbos makes a noticable difference in performance.

From reading the forum in the past I suspected something like this might be the issue... it seemed driveable but didn't want to take any unnecessary risks so I went right over to the dealer and was able to get a loaner. So I was late for work. :| Hopefully have the 1M back tonight.

Easier for me to have the dealer fix it now, but if it happens again I'll consider the aftermarket route. My car is otherwise 100% stock.

Appreciate the info on here, it comes in handy even though I'm an intermittent participant.
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50