View Single Post
      08-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #94
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

I just did this after my first 800 miles on my car tonight... all I have to say is: This is, Without a doubt, The *BEST* modification that you SHOULD do to your manual BMW. And one of the best parts is, It's absolutely free.... or $8...

I must say, you ought to get a wrench like Oliver_TFE's. I had a shit of a time using a standard 11 MM wrench. (the write-up says 10mm, but that didn't fit my bleeder valve, I had to use 11MM) It's a tight fit up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier_TFE View Post
I decided to go to a dealership and buy a new CDV, and modify it at home. I started to drill it out, but there is a metal piece in there that really prevents you from doing this feasibly. What did work, was using a hex head (that was mentioned previously) that fits well into the long and slender hole, and with the larger end of the CDV on a stiff table, smack the hex wrench with a hammer. Don't hit it too hard, the thing will pop right out. If you break it, no big deal, it's only $8. Whatever you do, make sure it is CLEAN. Use rubbing alcohol and Q-tips to make sure there are no plastic or metal bits still in there. A q-tip should go all the way through if you did it right.
I don't feel that you should clamp hydraulic hoses. They are made NOT to compress or expand, and I have a feeling this weakens them. As mentioned before, use your thumb to plug the hose coming from the fluid reservoir. That worked fine for me. Just make sure the transmission is not hot to the touch and you won't get burned. (The brake fluid doesn't get that hot but that transmission sure does)

I like my 4 year warranty, and I intend to keep it. I'm actually EASIER on my drive line without that infernal CDV. Before, I was jerky and I had no idea when the clutch was actually going to engage. Now I actually can feel the clutch engaging in a predictable way and know when to let it out slower, so it engages the way I want it to. I can finally shift faster than my 82 year old grandmother would and still remain as smooth as an automatic.

larryn, your pics were indispensable. Thank you.
Appreciate 0